Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Work It Out Then Whip It Up

So, I just got in from mowing my backyard. It went from zero to Amazon in a weeks time so I was glad to get back there and hack at it. The front will have to wait until tomorrow. 

This is the workout I did today. I don't have a pull up bar yet so I subbed the hanging knee raises for ninja jump tucks which you can see a variation for here. This is a really great workout and the whole thing is only 16 minutes long. I got a late start today so I didn't have time for my skipping but I'll make up for it in my workout tomorrow. 

NOW, are you ready to get your taste buds exploding?
I've got one of my favorite soups going on the stove right now. It's a sweet potato and cabbage soup with a peanut butter broth. I love this soup and it cooks up fairly quick.

I cut my knuckle peeling that ginger right there.
1/2 a decent sized head of cabbage- chopped
3 sweet potatoes - cubed
1 Tbs ginger-grated or finely chopped
2 cloves garlic-minced or finely chopped
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne depending on how spicy you like it (I use a good amount b/c I love spice)
4 cups vegetable stock (I use Not Chik'n)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 Tbs soy sauce

optional
Chopped cilantro
mung bean sprouts

Cook ginger, garlic, cayenne in 1 Tbs olive oil for 1 minute then add salt to taste and cook until tender
Add cabbage and let it brown just a touch before adding 3 1/2 cups of broth and sweet pots simmer for about 15-20 minutes

in a bowl wisk together remaining broth, peanut butter, and soy sauce
add tomatoes and cook together for another 5 minutes or so

Try to stop eating it.

I made these last night.

Gator doesn't need to worry about watching her figure.
These are some raw chewy choco treats I made last night. They turned out pretty good. I especially love eating them with some delicious coffee.

2 cups of sliced raw almonds
1 cup of rasins (dates would be better but they're $10 a pound)
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
2-3 Tbs honey or agave nectar
splash of vanilla
1 Tbs cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

I put the almonds, raisins, cinnamon, and cocoa powder through food processor until finely ground up then kneaded in everything else. Flatten out your dough and cut up into bars or strips or circles or whatever you want to do with them then throw them in the freezer and eat them when they're good and hard. 

They're kind of like a brownie and I ended up putting even more coconut on them. These measurements are approximate so just do what you feel. Some grated orange rind would be awesome in there too.

Thanks for reading. Have a delicious day.


5 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I are soup fiends (it's a Turkish thing), so we're digging on the plethora of soup recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fellow soupaholic. Plenty more to come. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gooood schtuddd, im going to make that tasty soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish that I could "like" things on your blog. I hope that your knuckle wound healed quickly.

    ReplyDelete