Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Coconut Flavored Blog

Hi friends.

Good to see you here. How was your day? Oh?...... Yeah?....... Wow. That's really awesome.

Now let's talk about something else.
I went to the farmers market a few days ago and got stocked up for the apocalypse. So. Much. Food. It's great. While perusing the aisles (and getting my mind completely blown) I happened across some coconut flour. I've come across several delicious sounding recipes that call for this particular ingredient and it was dirt cheap so I went ahead and threw it in the cart. Good move. I have since made several tasty treats. First one being these delicious pancakes right here. I didn't take any pictures because I was pretty much gobbling them up straight out of the pan and, quite frankly, they were ugly. If you click on the link it will take you to some kind of coconut flour genius' blog were you can discover all sorts of wonderful things. I subbed out the eggs for ground flax seeds to make them vegan and used up the last of the maple syrup I had leftover from my cleanse. These things were awesome and packed full of protein and fiber so they kept me full all day long.

The next coconut flour adventure took form in the shape of coconut lemon cookies. These things were great. My band mate and I finished them off pretty quickly last night while we were practicing.

The actual cookies didn't survive long enough for photo evidence, but here's a little glimpse of some serious dough action.

I have about a trillion lemons leftover from my cleanse lemonade drink so I'm trying to use them in as many things as possible. I found a coconut almond flax cookie recipe and decided to make them coconut lemon flax cookies instead. I also cut out the sugar. Here's the original. Mine went like this....

1/4 cup ground flax seed
3/4 cups water
1/2 cup coconut oil melted
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp sea salt
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes


Mix all that good stuff together. Plop spoonfuls on a baking sheet. Stick in an oven that has been preheated to three hundred and seventy five degrees Fahrenheit. Let them hang out in there for about 15 minutes. Take them out of the oven. Behold their beauty. Wish they weren't as hot as the dickens. Let them cool down before you go sticking your grubby little hands all over them. Shove them in your face.

These cookies stayed super moist, kind of crumbly, and extra yummy. 

Shall we move on to coconut recipe number three? I think so.......

I feel like posting photos of the food after I've already started eating let's you know that I truly think it was irresistibly delicious.

That is a Cilantro-Lime-Coconut Adzuki Bean Stir Fry.  A recipe that I modified from here. This was seriously delicious. I had to hurry up and put the leftovers in the fridge so I would quit stuffing my face. The original recipe called for mangos but mine aren't ripe yet so I just used it as a guideline to create my own dish. Here we go......

The Sauce
2 inch piece of ginger minced
1 clove garlic (or more) minced
1/2 cup cilantro
juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 Tbs agave nectar

Everything else
1 onion sliced
1 1/2 cups or so adzuki beans
handful of snap peas
2 carrots sliced thin
1 Tbs coconut flour
 Tamari or soy sauce to taste
handful toasted peanuts

For the stir fry; put your onion, snap peas, and carrots in a wok with some hot sesame oil. Cook for about 10 minutes. In the meantime blend together all your ingredients for the sauce in a food processor.

Once your onions and everything are nicely cooked stir in your adzuki beans and sauce. Let them simmer up for a minute and stir in the coconut flour to thicken it up a bit. Add your Tamari to your liking. I used about 2 Tbs' or so. 

Plate it once everything is good and hot then top with sliced avocado, toasted peanuts, and Sriracha. Eat it. Love it. Then eat it some more.


Hope you enjoy all these coconut themed recipes. They're truly delicious. After pigging out it's important to make sure you're blasting off some calories with a good workout. Today I did a pilates video that had my abs and buns burning like wildfire. I'll let you know what I decide to bust out tomorrow. Something good, I'm sure. Yesterday I did 100 burpees (10 variations 10 times each) and 20 minutes of interval skipping. Burpees are a great full body exercise that will definitely get your sweating.



Check it out and sweat it out. Here you have Zuzana breaking down all the different burpee variations. Pick a few that you love then get at it.

Hope everyone is having a super day. Good vibes to all and tidings of grain free goodness. Thanks for reading. See you next time.










No comments:

Post a Comment